AGLAIA is a protected trademark of BEECK`schen Farbwerke, Louis Gnatz GmbH. The name AGLAIA comes from Greek. The Greek goddess of love Aphrodite had a muse called AGLAIA. AGLAIA can be translated as “brilliance“, “splendour“, “shine“ and “beauty“, or the brilliance of the beautiful. Just as in Greek mythology, beauty and health are inseparable, we chose the name AGLAIA for our plant-based Natural Paints.
This reflects our intention that healthy paints with a beautiful gloss should be compatible with nature. Since 1984 our company has been acquiring experience regarding pure natural mineral paints based on lime and water glass. In 1968 we began investing this experience in the development of plant-based paints.
All kinds of different motives determine our actions:
- Use of renewable raw materials spares valuable resources during the whole product cycle. Careful raw material extraction, production run in line with “gentle chemistry“ standards and problem-free return to the ecological cycle following the use phase speak for themselves; refer to the “Cycle Plant reactor“ diagram. By comparison, the petro, synthesis and test-tube chemistry of synthetic resins (“Dead End Chemical reactor“) not only produce the synthetic resin as the end product but also cause enormous environmental problems and greenhouse gases that are harmful to the climate. Regenerative energy and renewable raw materials are models that have a future and both are based on the life-giving energy of the sun.
- Our motivation is to produce natural products which do not harm the health of their users and do not damage or waste the valuable resour- ces of nature.
- We have nothing to hide! The AGLAIA full disclosure declaration provides continuous information about all the constituents in a product, through to minuscule parts of recipes. It’s not only allergy sufferers who can use this “transparent recipe“ to get a precise idea of the actual composition in advance.
- In the age of prefabricated industrial materials, there is a risk that we will lose the ability to properly perceive and appreciate the true ma- teriality of building materials and surfaces with all our senses. For most of us, there is a noticeable difference between the building materials we surround ourselves with; wood radiating warmth or cold Plexiglas. Anyone wanting to obtain and preserve the natural character of wood reaches for oil and wax. Touch, smell and feeling will lead us automatically to natural surfaces.
- It is our opinion that natural coatings are most suitable for sensitive living areas, for schools and kindergartens. AGLAIA Casein Coatings and plant-based wall glazes are wonderfully creative and stimulating. They therefore produce a positive room climate, not only in building phy- sics terms. Anyone who uses paints conscientiously, lovingly restores an old half-timbered house or is entrusted with the remediation of a PCP-contaminated kindergarten will opt for high-quality AGLAIA natural products, and with good reason.
- Natural building materials such as lime, clay or loam, wood and stone have an impressive tradition, even in our climate region. In the restora- tion trade, much of old building skills has survived, including proper handling of linseed oil, casein, lime and earth pigments.
This shows that use of the AGLAIA products is a sustainable, durable and healthy alternative.
For more than 40 years, AGLAIA has proven its worth on millions of square meters and all kinds of different substrates.